The History of this Church
A Brief Account from 1940
4th August 1940 was the day that Goring Congregational Church was born [or inaugurated] after members of Shelley Road Congregation Church in the centre of Worthing saw a need for a church of that denomination in Goring.
The first service was conducted by Rev Morris Bold in Elm Grove School Hall. Because of delays caused by the second world war, the brick laying ceremony for a combined church/hall was on 19 June 1948. The dual purpose building was eventually opened on 1 March 1949.
In 1950 a much needed Sunday School hall was opened .
Rev Cyril Franks joined the church in 1960 and under his leadership our present church building was opened on
16 September 1961. The pipe organ was installed having been move from .....
The booklet 'Twixt Downs and the Sea' was produced to mark the opening of the new church building. See above.
It was revised in 1971 by Mr H A (Bert) Winterton to mark the 10th Anniversary.
Rev Wallis Hayward from Portsmouth came to the church with a keen interest in young people, the Girls and Boys brigades. Work started in 1966 to build the Cornwall Room which was opened on 12 March 1967. This project proved a room between the new church and hall with facility to divide into separate rooms.
In 1972 the United Reformed Church was formed, joining the Congregation Church of england and wales and Presbyterian Church.
The Girls and Boys brigades under the leaderships of Jean Webb and Don Stewart unfortunately had to close because of declining numbers.
We celebrated our Golden Jubilee, 50yrs on 4 August 1990. A special Chronicle was issued, see Chronicle section
During the spring of 1999 a group of committed church members undertook to repaint the inside of the Sanctuary.
In 2009 major changes were made to the interior of the Cornwall Room improving the accommodation with fitted carpet, a mini kitchen area and improved toilets.
A new plastic, copper look a like roof replaced the actual copper roof in 2012 and, a year later new fabric chairs were purchased after many people suggested that the original wooded uncomfortable pew typechairs should be replaced.
To celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the the Church 1940 - 2015 a photograph album was produced.
The 75th Anniversary was celebrated in August 2015.
A photo album 'History in Pictures' was produced to mark the date.
Updated 15 August 2021